Sunday, May 1, 2016

Review...Collateral Damage by: Gwenan Haines

 Collateral Damage

For three years Laura Drake has watched Senator Pete Worthington promote a series of gorgeous women while she sits in a forgotten corner answering constituent letters on an outdated computer. When Worthington asks her to find an elusive file one Friday night he sets off a series of events that brands her as a killer and puts her life in jeopardy. The path she sets out on forces her to confront not only the nature of evil but the ghosts from her past that have never been set to rest.FBI Agent Dalton Ross transferred from Chicago to Washington to escape his own ghosts. When his investigation leads him to Laura he's torn between his desire to keep her safe and the need to protect his own heart. As the mystery that surrounds them deepens, Laura and Dalton race to save themselves and the nation from someone willing to sacrifice anything to protect a secret.




My Review (copy provided)

4 stars


I really enjoyed this story; it took me out of my usual "genre." I do prefer a tad bit more romance but the suspense and story kept it going and I found it very entertaining. The prologue immediately drew me in and I found myself questioning how it all ties into the story.


Our heroine has a troubled past and because of it, kind of hides in the background. She does her job and does it well but doesn't bring too much attention to herself. She hides herself in baggy clothes and behind a bad haircut.


Our hero and agent for the FBI is following Laura (h) and trying to find out what her story is. After a shotty attempt to pick her up everything changes for the two of them. Now they're in hiding and trying to get answers. Dalton (H) doesn't trust woman and Laura doesn't trust men but something about the other draws them together. They are trying to deny what’s going on with them to get to the root of what has been happening. Dalton wants to protect Laura and Laura is adamant to find out answers even if it's on her own. There is a lot of betrayal going on in this book and who done it. Laura surprises me with how brave she becomes and uses her guts and instinct, she denies her heart to help solve the problem.


Like I said this book was really entertaining and the conclusion surprised me. I love when I can't guess what's going to happen, and even though the romance was not the base of the story I still really enjoyed the book.






No comments: