Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Review...Stepbrother Dearest by: Penelope Ward

Stepbrother Dearest 5 stars!! Love love loved it! I was anxiously waiting for this book to be released and wow it did not disappoint.

Greta (h) is almost eighteen and going to meet her stepbrother for the first time, he just so happens to be the same age and grade. Due to unforeseen circumstances Elec (H) her stepbrother is going to be living with them and attending school with her where they will both be seniors. Greta is excited and nervous to meet him. She has heard all about the wild, rebellious, tattooed Elec.

Elec does not have a good relationship with his father, it is strained and his father is verbally abusive. The last thing he wants is to move from California to Massachusetts to live with him and the woman that took his father away from his mother. Elec has a major chip on his shoulder and is determined to make life hell for anyone in that house including Greta and as soon as he meets her the tormenting begins. He wants to make her life as miserable as his...or so he thinks.

I hated that he took it out on me because he didn’t want to be here.
I hated that he brought girls from our high school back to his room.
But what I hated the most was the unwanted way my body reacted to him.


Greta is intrigued by Elec and knows there is something beneath his hot, sexy, tough guy exterior. She tries to break him by trying numerous approaches and finally she does. They both form this bond and relationship with one another getting closer and closer.  But everything changes when Elec drops a bomb on Greta and before she knows it he's gone.

Seven years have past without seeing or speaking to each other but once again unfortunate circumstance reunite the two. Things have changed, they have grown...but have their feelings?

I loved this book and didn't find anything that remotely bothered me. The characters were great and even though you wanted to hate Elec you couldn't (just like Greta). And then once you got to know him, he was smart, funny, and actually pretty sweet. The angst and emotion in this book were perfect for me...not too over the top. And when I was more than half way through the book I thought it would be really nice to get a peek inside of Elec's head (this told from the h's POV) already hoping for a book from his POV. Then bam, we do and the way it's done is genius, which I wrote "genius" in my notes on my Kindle. I don't know if I've ever read a novel that pulled it off that way, it was smart and original. One thing I love about Penelope Ward is the way she always finds away to put humor into her books, and just at the right time. Loved the anagrams and the epilogue was perfect. I could go on and on about how much I loved and enjoyed this book so just read it. 

I highly recommend!

HEA? (2)<<<click here if you want to know.

No comments: