Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thoughts about Unrestrained by: S.E. Lund

The Unrestrained Series Complete Collection Amazon link to buy / HEA? (2) click if you want to know

*** This could be considered slightly spoilerish if you haven't read any of these books.***

I really liked this series as a whole but was a little disappointed in the third book. This book picks up with Drake and Kate (newly engaged) going to Africa and takes place there pretty much the whole time. Drake is going to Africa to help out his friend Michael in the hospital and teach the residents. Kate is introduced to Michael and Michael's wife Claire which are long time friends of Drake. Immediately Michael's wife Claire rubs me the wrong way. And I kept thinking no let me just think this and maybe she'll turn out to be okay. Kate has no one not one single friend the only person in her life is Drake and I was so hoping she would befriend someone in Africa. She has dealt with such hurt and betrayal from her best friend (Dawn) the girl she considered a sister, so I wanted her to have a positive female figure in her life. Not only was Claire an instigator and extremely manipulative but every female in Africa except maybe her art teacher were bitches. I guess I just felt like there was too much drama after everything else Drake and her had been through. Samantha one of Drakes previous woman is a resident and working with him closely trying to dig her claws in with absolutely no respect for the fact that Drake as engaged. And Drake seems oblivious by it, he keeps telling Kate over and over not to worry about it but she does constantly. Kate takes up art classes in Africa and meets a famous artist that has his eyes on her and won't take no for an answer. It just seemed like they couldn't get a break and it was one thing after another. Drake was extremely hypocritical too. I love drama but when it's the third book and we've already had so much to begin with it was just over the top (to me of course). Don't get me wrong I would recommend this series and I do not discourage reading it, but for me the third book fell short, I was happy with how book two ended. These are all told from the h's point of view but the author came out with a novella Drake Restrained (Unrestrained, #0.5) from Drake's POV which is waiting for me on my Kindle. Amazon link to buy

Here is the blurb:

Drake Morgan, MD, Neurosurgeon, bass player, philanthropist – Dominant.

He doesn’t do girlfriends, he doesn’t do sleepovers, and he certainly doesn’t do breakfast in bed the morning after. He has his surgical slate at New York Presbyterian, he has a charitable foundation providing surgical tools to hospitals in Africa, he has his Brit Invasion cover band, Mersey, and he has his secret life as a Dominant in Manhattan’s BDSM community.

Into bondage, D/s and the occasional dungeon scene, Drake keeps every part of his life separate, the divisions between them neat and tidy. His weeks are filled with surgeries, music and D/s sex, and none of the well-planned and scheduled parts of his life intersect.

That is until Kate McDermott crosses his path and screws everything up.

Now, nothing is neat and tidy anymore, for Drake is smitten and things are going to get messy…

No comments: